On monday, our Wiki Weekers worked to produce definition of education according to them. Here is what came out of the discussion.
– When we talk about learning, it’s not the product that matters but the process. We have to be actively part of this long and continuous process that should give us keys to read and contribute to the world.
– Learning is a multidimensional and continuous process. We are products of our experience, the obstacles (and difficulties) we fale shape our identities and understanding
– Education is an active and dynamic lifelong process in order to be a self-determined human being. It consists in questionning, thinking and getting experienced.
– Breathe. Stay curious. Question everything. Learning is evolution.
And so… What is Global Education?
– Studies in general should be more global oriented, from elementary school all the way up to university
– More universal, not so theoretical
– Vertical (e.g. health, law) vs. horizontal (e.g. history)
– Inequalities. The level of education is higher in some countries than in others.
– Global has a double definition. Also related to global citizenship and international solidarity.
– Personal impact of our actions on the world
– Think globally, not nationally (not necessarily your country)
– Link between local and global, including specificity but think globally
– Globalization is in process so we can change its course
– “Americanization” of culture, a predominant culture
– Intercultural learning, how to get around in a globalized world
– Different approaches, not teaching values and not focusing on one perspective
– Education and humanitarian school. Education for all
– Promote international solidarity on a personal level, raise awareness
– Non-formal education has to be global, compared to school that gives rules
– Part of the curriculum should be global
– Human rights, be tolerant to other cultures
– Ecological matters
– Sustainable development
– Global consciousness, not necessarily by formal education e.g. school, University. There are other ways, like playing games
– Education about the world or on a globalized world
– It is more interesting talking about origins, where it developed, focus on cultural things
– A global environment exists, human race is out there
– Our lifestyles have an impact. Teach others to care, to have empathy to other cultures.
Global education is first abut education per se. Education at school should be more global compared to national. A more universal education. There are sectors that it is easier to globalize and some are not like history.It is also about global citizenship and international solidarity. We should find a link between local and global. Preserve our specificity but think globally.
It includes as well intercultural learning. How to get around in a globalized world. Global education presumes education for all. There are people that do not have access to it. Raise awareness is crucial. Awareness on human rights, eco-matters, sustainable development.
Glocality. How to teach people to care because there is a human race, a global environment.
More discussions about…
The purpose of Intercultural Learning